SWS Forum

Full Version: What camera do you use for MLS photos..or wish you had?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can't afford to hire a pro photographer yet (I don't even have my MLS id yet lol) and am a good photographer on my own, but wondered what the best deal is on a camera that has a wide enough angle lens for us poor people?

Also, what camera would you LIKE to have, if you could?
(04-15-2014 10:09 AM)HMeader Wrote: [ -> ]I can't afford to hire a pro photographer yet (I don't even have my MLS id yet lol) and am a good photographer on my own, but wondered what the best deal is on a camera that has a wide enough angle lens for us poor people?

Also, what camera would you LIKE to have, if you could?

You might consider purchasing an ipad mini. It is great to work on and the camera is excellent.
Camera models change all the time, so it's tough to provide a recommendation that will be valid by next week. But here is a little write-up I did on the subject in a book I'm working on...
Ask a dozen real estate agents what the best camera is for real estate photography and you’ll get a dozen different answers. Some swear by their iPhone, some say a decent point-n-shoot does the trick, others proclaim that you must spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars on a fancy-schmantzy camera, lens, flash and tripod.

I fall in with the middle-of-the-road crowd. No, I don’t think your iPhone makes the cut, but neither do I think you need to bust the budget on expensive equipment. Most of my real estate photography was done with a medium-quality point-n-shoot and I’m confident that the quality of my photos was acceptable, even exceptional .

The biggest consideration when selecting a camera for real estate use is that it has a wide angle lens, so start there. While a 28mm lens is technically considered wide-angle, in my experience, it’s not wide enough. If you can find one with a lens closer to 24mm, you’ll be much happier with the camera’s flexibility in tight spaces.

I wish I could tell you which camera is best, but the problem is… models come and go, so anything I recommend today will be obsolete by the time you read this. My advice? Go to Amazon.com and search for “real estate camera wide angle” and see what you find. When I just did this search, I found a “listmania” list created in 2012 with a fantastic list of several cameras that offer a 24mm lens. Read the reviews, stay in your budget and get that camera ordered!
Call me crazy, but we have always used professional photography. Out here, it can actually be done less than $150 (with very good shots).

I figure $150 was less than a good camera -- and we always set money aside (from our commissions) for our expenses including future listings.

Not to mention -- its also a good selling point when on a listing presentation.

(here is an example of how the photography turns out for us: http://mackrealestate.com/listingdetail?mls=130019865 )

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
(04-16-2014 05:43 AM)Jennifer Allan Hagedorn Wrote: [ -> ]Some swear by their iPhone,

And I wish those that swear by their iPhones (or ANY cell phone) wouldn't.

The photos taken by your phone are at 72dpi and translate terribly on the internet when enlarged (they become pixelated).

Personally, I have a mid-range Canon point and shoot. I love it, it's always in my purse, so always available.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Reference URL's