SWS Forum

Full Version: Taglines or motto?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do you all use a tagline or saying.motto on your sites or biz cards/signatures?

I'm trying to come up with a good one but not step on any toes...

Examples (that I will not steal) welcome!

Hil
Hil - I'm considering doing a workshop in June on this very subject - but going beyond simply coming up with a clever tagline to put on a business card. I'll be announcing it soon.

In the meantime, here is an excerpt from my new book on the matter:

TAGLINES, MISSION STATEMENTS, SLOGANS, ETC.
We alluded to this earlier when we discussed Bonding versus Branding and encouraged you to focus more on hanging out with like-minded people as opposed to trying to market to them with clever advertising.

But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t come up with a great tagline, mission statement and/or slogan. If nothing else, the process of developing promotional copy for yourself will force you to figure out what truly makes you special; what you bring to the table that your competition does not!

That’s the kicker, though. What, specifically about you and/or your business differentiates you from everyone else who does what you do?

A Commitment to Excellence?
30 Years of Experience?
Exceptional Service?
Thousands of ____ Sold?

Yawn.

Nope, sorry. This is a rare case where I’m going to tell you it’s NOT that Simple! Although rest assured it doesn’t have to be complicated.

A truly great tagline/mission statement/slogan, etc., is meaningful, both to you and to your audience. It’s meaningful to you if you mean it when you say it, and you’re proud to say it. It’s meaningful to your audience if when they hear it (or read it), they remember it, if only for a moment or two.

No “Commitment to Excellence,” “Excellent Service” or “xx Years of Experience” will do that for you or your audience.

So, my friend, WHAT makes you special? If you believe yourself to be (or you want to be) the _________ of choice in your marketplace, WHY is that (or what can you BE to make that happen)?

Just have fun with it and don’t fret over this. Because here’s the thing. Even the most spectacular tagline isn’t going to be the magic bullet for your business and if you can’t come up with one today or tomorrow, you will some day when the time is right. Probably when you least expect it!
I think JA hit the nail on the head, perfectly.

IF you are going to come up with a headline / slogan for a branding purpose, I suggest coming up with something that appeals to the customer rather than your ego. (most agents go the ego route)

IOW, focus on a 'How I help (and am different)' rather than 'Why I am great...'

That being said, relationship goes sooooo much further than a tagline. Real estate always has been, and always will be a relationship business. The most successful agents in our office care more about people than they care about fancy marketing.
Reference URL's