SWS Forum

Full Version: Efflorescence
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All!

Wow, I haven't posted in a very long time--but I do stop by and read every now and then. I'm back today with questions about Efflorescence. I have a client who is considering making an offer on a house with very obvious efflorescence all over the basement walls--every single wall. Now, from what I understand, efflorescence itself is not a big deal, and can be removed with various techniques depending on what stage it is in. And it apparently does not pose a health risk in and of itself. The bigger issue is the moisture that is causing the efflorescence--obviously where there is moisture, there is the potential for mold growth to occur. And moisture that is seeping in through basement walls can deteriorate the foundation. The important thing is to identify the source of the water infiltration and take steps to remedy the problem.

I'm wondering if any of you have dealt with this issue and, if so, how did things turn out? I'd very much like to know how you and your client handled it, what type of professionals did you use to assess the situation, what professionals were involved in correcting the problem, and how did it all turn out in the end? Obviously, the sale would be contingent upon the buyer's investigation of the efflorescence/moisture issues, and satisfaction that it can be corrected, and possibly that it will be corrected by the seller.

I'd appreciate any experience that can be shared, as well as thoughts and input from anybody that has something to share--even those that have never come across this issue.

Thanks in advance!
This was very common in Denver - at least in the homes I worked in because they all had basements and were 70+ years old. Speaking only from my experience in Denver, it was almost always a case of bad drainage which is relatively easily fixable.
Hi Jennifer, thanks for sharing your knowledge. I spoke with an inspector today and he told me that it can also be caused by simply having high humidity issues in the basement--so sometimes all that is needed is a de-humidifier. In this particular case, the sellers said they don't have any knowledge of water in the basement--just humid air. And we didn't see any cracks or water stains on the floor. BUT--the buyer has to decided to put this one on hold and consider other houses--not because of the efflorescence. It's because of the railroad tracks that are about 50 feet away, lol. After thinking it over, he doesn't think he could deal with the train noise, even though he's in a hurry to find a house.

Thank you again.
Reference URL's