Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questions You Couldn't Answer...
07-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Questions You Couldn't Answer...
My darling rookies,

Have you ever been asked a question by a client or a prospect that you couldn't answer on the spot? Maybe at a listing appt, when showing houses to a buyer, writing an offer, during an inspection or a closing?

How did you handle it?

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Re: Questions You Couldn't Answer...
Yep, I've had this happen (many times unfortunately).  If I'm showing a house or something along those lines, I hop on the phone to the listing agent and find out (while my clients are standing there). If its something like a listing appointment, I don't lie - I let them know that while I don't know the answer, I will find out for them ASAP (or if I can call and find out then, I will), and call them as soon as I know. If it takes a while to get the answer (more than a day), I call my client back to let them know that I haven't forgotten about them and that I'm still working on their answer.
07-29-2008, 05:54 PM
open houses for other agents...my visitors always want to know random stuff like "Who was the builder?" or "Is this the Harmony floorplan or the Primrose?" or "Are these Pella windows?"

??? <--- (my actual response)
07-29-2008, 08:08 PM
I had a funny one once, made the clients laugh (but they also did not buy anything.)

We were looking at lakefront properties, and the client asked me "Which way is North?"

I had no idea, so I said "I didn't qualify for that merit badge...I don't know...and the real estate exam didn't require me to know how moss grew on trees...."

We laughed.  They said I was funny. 

Then I never heard from them again either. LOL

(The question is difficult because we were on a lake that is full of coves and peninsulas not to mention all the twisty turney roads to get to the houses... and unless you know the lake extremely well, it can be impossible to tell which direction is which when it's the middle of the day or when it's cloudy....
07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
I always tell them that "That is an excellent question. I'm not sure. But I will check into it and let you know what I find out!"
08-01-2008, 06:42 AM
(07-29-2008 08:08 PM)Perky link Wrote:  We were looking at lakefront properties, and the client asked me \"Which way is North?\"

That's why I always carry a compass. You just never know. :-)
08-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Ed, don't be modest...be proud of your accomplishments:
[Image: Orienteering.JPG]

photo courtesy of TeacherLink, University of Utah, downloadable clipart

I couldn't find the Hollywood Agent merit badge...but I've no doubt you earned that one, too.  And the Been There, Done That badge, and the Writing For A Sophisticated Audience badge, and the Blogaholic badge...

Oh, and don't forget the Coloring Outside The Lines badge....that's my favorite.

Who can resist a rebellious boy scout?  Wink

Back to the topic at hand--
The craziest question I was asked was "Why did they use cast iron for the waste pipes if it's going to rust?"
My answer:  "Dunno...maybe because they hadn't invented PVC when the house was built?"  I guess I should have paid more attention in my "Sewer Systems For Dummies" class...
I loved this client, but some of his questions...sheesh!
08-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Kim - actually that's a perfect example of what I'm looking for - thanks!!

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2008, 07:48 AM
My pleasure, Ms. Allan  Smile
08-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I was once asked if the paint conveyed. I said no.

Yours truly,
The Rebellious Boy Scout