Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
'Splain Grouping (Groups 1 and 2) versus Categorizing (A, B and C's), please
03-08-2011, 09:46 AM
'Splain Grouping (Groups 1 and 2) versus Categorizing (A, B and C's), please
If you're at all familiar with my SOI "grouping" strategy, you've heard me mention my Groups 1 and 2.

Group 1 is my social network; Group 2 is everyone else. (Awfully clever, eh?)

Every single person in my contact database is EITHER Group 1 or Group 2. How do I define whether someone is 1 or 2? Simple. If I'd enjoy going out for coffee with someone, they're Group 1. If not, Group 2. Doesn't matter if they're a relative, prospect, client, competing agent or whatever - if I'd look forward to hanging out with them for an hour or so, they're Group 1.

To contrast, other SOI trainers encourage you to categorize your contacts into A's, B's and C's, depending on how supportive they've been of your business, and to "reward" them with your attention accordingly. A's are people who have referred to you a whole bunch in the past and you expect they'll continue to do so; B's are people who might have referred to you a few times and you think they might do it again and C's are those pathetic losers who have never referred to you, so you have no reason to suspect that will ever change.

Hopefully you caught the sarcasm.

I really really hate the ABC method of deciding how much of your attention someone gets. First, I'm not convinced anyone (whether A, B or C) is really all that desirious of our focused attention, especially when it consists of constant referral-begging and incessant doo-dad delivering. Second, it seems that perhaps all that attention might be better spent inspiring your B's and C's to think more highly of you than they do currently (which, IMO is NOT accomplished by referral-begging and doo-dad delivering) so that they might support your business more than they have historically. Referral patterns can and do change, and we have the power to change them with our behavior and attitude toward the people we hope to get referrals from.

Can you tell this is one of my favorite soapboxes?

My stay-in-touch protocol is not based on how much value someone has historically brought to my business; it's based on how comfortable I feel on a social basis with someone. If someone is in my Group 1, I'm going to look forward to reconnecting and catching up with them on a reasonably regular basis. If they're in my Group 2, I'd probably be just as uncomfortable pretending to be best buddies as they would be with my efforts to do so.

Doesn't mean Group 2 won't be a significant source of business for you - in fact, they may be a far more significant source than your Group 1.

Be happy to elaborate on this further, but that's enough for now.

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Re: 'Splain Grouping (Groups 1 and 2) versus Categorizing (A, B and C's), please
This makes a lot of good sense Jennifer. I have a fairly large SOI in the city (about 1.5 hours from where I live).  Would I still add these people to my SOI list? I doubt that they could actually do anything to help my business where I'm living but one day I do hope to get back to living in or around the city again.  And if I did add them would I not have to have a special © place for them? Most are family and good friends from my school days that I have reconnected with and communicate with almost daily on Facebook.
03-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Re: 'Splain Grouping (Groups 1 and 2) versus Categorizing (A, B and C's), please
Just a quick note that whether you prefer Jennifer's Groups 1 and 2 approach, or the more traditional A/B/C Groups approach, IXACT Contact will work for you either way.  Simply create the Groups that make sense for the way you want to do business and you're on your way!  You can add/edit/delete Groups by clicking the blue "Modify List" link in the Groups section of any Contact Profile (see attached screen shot).

Attached File(s)
.jpg  2011-03-08_173828.jpg (Size: 26.69 KB / Downloads: 112)
03-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks Rich - I really like the way IXACT handles groups - it's the easiest and most intuitive I've seen.

Pug - I would definitely include these people in your contact database, although they probably won't be too helpful in building your business. And this might be one of those times where I "approve" a Group 3  Smile

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
03-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Well, I literally just signed up for IXACT a few moments ago and am looking forward to it helping me get better organized.

By nature, I am ridiculously well organized, but this business has just kicked my you-know-what, causing me to get helplessly disorganized to an extent, which is causing a great deal of stress for me!  ;D
03-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Ooooh, Susan - you are in for a life-changing treat if you use your brand-spanking new contact manager!!!

I know you're wonderful already, but you'll be even more so! Let me know if I can help.

03-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Susan, please let me know how you like Ixact Contact. I have been pondering what contact manager program to go with. I really need "Contact Manager for Dummies" but it's not yet available ;D. I've put off purchasing a program because I didn't want to waste money. Some of my colleagues have said that Act and Top Producer have a protracted learning curve and I've read some reviews which would indicate the programs aren't immediately user friendly. I need simple, simple, simple....download and go.
03-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Patricia - I'll let Susan answer from her perspective, but I'll just say that IXACT is a gazillion times easier to learn than TP or ACT. These two programs are great programs (at least, Top Producer is and I assume ACT is as well), but the learning curve is steep. I used to be a TP distributor, but I quit after my customers, without exception, canceled their subscriptions when they got frustrated trying to learn it.

05-02-2011, 03:53 PM
OK- I just signed up for the Ixact trial, and the first thing I go to do is import my contacts- and there is no button? In the help section it says- to import your contacts, please call customer service at ### ... ? Really? I haven't even started and already I think I want to quit.

Maybe it's because of my background in IT, but not even be able to import contacts on my own?? I'm a bit biased- I use outlook as my CMS. For anyone who's using it, is Ixact worth it?
05-02-2011, 03:59 PM
I thought the same thing at first - Hey, I'm a smart gal, I can do it myself.

What they explained is that there are so many different systems out there to import from that they found it took much less time to simply do it themselves than troubleshoot with agents who were having trouble. I can relate to that - almost every time I've tried to import to a new contact manager, something didn't work quite right and I ended up in Customer Service anyway, with a bit of a mess for them to clean up.

You can also email your contacts to them if you don't want to have a phone conversation - I'll get you the address if you need it.

I love IXACT, but of course, you already know that!