Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Newsletter
04-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Newsletter
Hello ~ I am interested in developing a newsletter through Ixact. Something with blocks and columns for different topics. The IC tech tells me it is possible, but they have no templates yet. You can either use HTML or tables.
I am not tech savvy in this area and am concerned I will spend a ridiculous amount of time trying (and avoiding other tasks...).

When I asked a friend experienced in this area, (willing to pay for her service), she told me I'd be better off just buying another contact system like Constant Contact for newsletters. I'd love to have everything in one place and am hoping this will happen on IC. And it seems silly to pay for another service when this may be possible on IC. Anyone been playing with this and have ideas?

SWSnBuffalo
04-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Re: Newsletter
OOOH OOOH OOOH, me, me me! I have thoughts!

First, I'm not a big fan of fancy newsletters, for several reasons. Unless you are a graphics designer, it's likely to look amateurish, even if you do use a newsletter-specific program like Constant Contact. I've seen some CC newsletters that are pretty good, and I think the one I do for my Referral Network is okay, but it took me awhile to get there - and my early newsletters looked awful. Do you really want to spend the time on design rather than content?

Second, fancy newsletters do nothing to inspire conversations, which to my way of thinking are the whole reason to DO a newsletter. The fancier, the less likely anyone is going to respond, so the less likely you are to create interaction with your audience. Simple newsletters - better called mass emails - do a far better job opening the door to communication than newsletters do.

Third - keeping up a newsletter and coming up with topics is hard work and, especially if you aren't seeing responses, tedious after awhile and easy to put off. Conversely, a simple mass email is, well, simple to do and much easier to keep up with since you really only have to come up with one topic.

All that said, I'll agree with your friend that if you want a formatted newsletter, use a program that specializes in that particular product. CC does a good job and they have great customer service; I think you'll spend far less time maintaining two "databases" than you will trying to make IXACT do something it's not really set up to do.

Just my pennies...

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Hmm - got me. Maybe I am trying to prettify it under the guise of professionalism because...as a new agent I am not confident with the content I have to offer yet. OK...will put further thought into it - thanks.
Arhg - I had it so together before RE - LOL.
04-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Just working on mine. I have tried in the past to write about the market (yawn), stats, new listings and the other real estate stuff that we're advised (yikes) to write about. I had permanent writers block (I have to update ALL that stuff, EVERY month?) and my enewsletter wasn't going out. I'm just working on a new template via constant contact and it has ONE block and I'm going to keep it very non-real estatey and more personal. HOPEFULLY, more people will read it and think of me as a person not just a realtor. And you know what, it was really easy to write...
04-21-2011, 08:34 AM
That's my approach... and I'm sticking to it. MUCH easier to write and format! And much more effective in my experience. Win win win!

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
04-24-2011, 04:38 AM
Jennifer, could you post a sample of a newsletter you have sent out to your referral people or new leads?
04-24-2011, 05:37 AM
Here are some mass emails I've sent to my SOI in the past. http://sellwithsoul.com/email-samples

As you'll see, they aren't newsletter-y at all, just conversational!

04-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Thanks Jennifer, what is a referral directory manual and do you have someone create those awesome sigs of yours? If so, who do you use or what program?
04-24-2011, 01:18 PM
I used to do a referral directory every few years - it was basically a list of service providers I could confidently recommend - I updated it from time to time since the names always changed... here's a page on my website where you can get an idea of what it looked like (and the magnet I sent out): http://www.charmingolddenver.com/Jennife...ectory.ubr

Oh, and my signatures are done by my graphics designer - if you want one for your very own, I think she gives my people a special price of $75 or something like that. Let me know if you want me to connect you!

04-25-2011, 04:19 AM
Thanks Jennifer! What a fantastic idea. What size is the magnet? I will get in touch with you when I'm in need of one of those signatures!