Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello all!
05-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Hello all!
Hi Jennifer and everyone!

I work up in Toronto, Ontario, and I've been a rep since late 2009. Honestly though, I consider myself a "full time" agent since joining my new brokerage in July of last year.  SWS was the first book like this I've ever bought and I just loved it. Mostly because I'm an introvert and have had issues with shyness at various points in my life. It sounds funny to say but a small part of the reason I wanted to go into Real Estate was to overcome that and it's certainly helped.

I think face to face, I'm pretty good at my job and dealing with my clients. I still stress about initial contacts. And yeah, some of the traditional ideas of prospecting don't sit well with me.  (you've heard the one where you call up your friend and ask them point blank to refer you to a friend or family member of theirs... yeah I never want to do that). 

I've  been lurking here for a bit, and I'm ready to do a bit more exploring. I have some courses I still need to take but hopefully after that I'll have time to sit down and check out more that's available here. It really sounds like it would line up well with how I want to do business.

Anyway, thanks for the site!

Pamela
05-10-2011, 04:51 AM
Re: Hello all!
Welcome Miss P!

As you've probably read, going into real estate did help me "overcome" shyness - or at least, inspired me to go make some friends. Which, by the way, I would never, ever abuse with any referral-begging - so you have good instincts in that regard.

Anyway, glad to have you here, lurking and posting! Let us know how we can help you!

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

I feel like this board is already helping me, reading about experiences from people with like minds. Big Grin

My problem is "I care too much". That sounds hokey, but it's actually a problem. I'm willing to risk letting a deal go than letting a buyer purchase something that might not be the right fit for them. And then I fret about it for too long after the sale and hope I didn't do anything wrong. That's a lot of money and their lives we're dealing with!
05-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Miss P - your "problem" of caring too much will serve you well, I promise.

BUT - will it hamper you? You betcha' - especially when you get too emotionally involved in your transactions and can't sleep at night worrying about things that aren't yours to worry about.

However, overall, if I had to choose between being overly concerned with my clients and not concerned enough, well... you know which one I'd choose.

And you WILL find the balance - or at least a semblance of it - at some point, years down the road!

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
05-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi Pamela:

I agree with Jennifer too. I'm a "newbie" (or will be soon... choosing a broker very soon) after 14 years of running 2 small retail businesses, which then morphed into a large online business. Over the years, I've always gotten on to myself for "caring too much" about the customer... so much so that I couldn't sleep at times. But, now at 40, I've learned to place those "stresses" back at the customer/client's feet so that I don't have to become some sort of incoherent, non-functional pile of flesh. I had a VERY bad habit of "letting" customers place their personal "issues" on my shoulders.

While I do indeed care deeply about the customer and the end result, some things just can't be helped, and I know that at the end of the day, I'm not the one in charge of their decisions (or lack of, in many cases). I'm there to guide them - and assuming I do that effectively, along with accurately/efficiently handling the "business" matters, I'll always feel confident I've done the best I can do.... and sleep better at night.  Smile
05-11-2011, 06:27 AM
Here's a blog series I wrote on the subject of boundaries... well, here's the first blog in the series... you can click the links at the end of each article to read the next one.

http://activerain.com/blogsview/1233851/...y-to-take-

05-11-2011, 08:30 AM
My approach to working with people in general, is to setup some "real" expectations on day one - not just the sugar-coated variety. (Of course, I would present these "realities" in the most positive and charming manner possible.) I think too many agents (and self-employed people in general) are afraid/nervous about doing so because their concerned they may lose the business - and as a result, end up either over-promising, or not at least minimally prepping the client/customer for any "challenges" which may be ahead.

If the time comes where a client/customer has unrealistic expectations out of the starting gate, it will be obvious to me on the first couple of meetings if I spell out the expectations and discuss those potential challenges as soon as reasonably possible. Not only will it help them (and me) during the course of the relationship by keeping the waters more smooth, but if there are "warning signs" that we're not a "match," then I would much rather know about it sooner than later. Smile
05-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Thank you Tony, you're right that I do tend to stress too much about my clients' problems. I haven't been in the business for very long but so far, I feel very fortunate to have had kind and understanding clients that have said that they were worried about inconveniencing me!  I've gone with them through their low-balls being rejected, through multiple offer situations that they lose, and through not even finding the *right* place. I always worry when a deal is done if I could have helped them out more, if I could maybe have squeezed a few dollars in savings for them somewhere, and I do worry a lot. The other day I was having a conversation with my significant other if I could keep doing this if I stress this much about every client.  

Also, I should add, I always tend to overstate the risks involved with making a sale, during the client consultation and with every place we look at.  I hope I don't do it too much, but I always try to be sure they understand what they're getting into.

Jennifer, I've loved your books and advice before, but even going through that one blog link you sent me, you're probably my new hero. I'll definitely be reading these and take them to heart! Thank you!
05-11-2011, 11:53 AM
(05-11-2011 11:32 AM)MissPamela link Wrote:  I feel very fortunate to have had kind and understanding clients that have said that they were worried about inconveniencing me!

Pamela:

Your snippet above struck me... As an introvert myself, and having been one of those types of clients (worried about bothering the agent), I would venture to say that those clients are worried about inconveniencing YOU because they have been "trained" by previous experiences to believe that THEY are not the agent's number one priority.  :Smile Isn't that sad? Customer service has dwindled to such a low point in this country, that our clients and customers don't want to "pester" us! Do some need to be reminded who is footing the bill? Apparently so. Smile

I have already found that I'm going to find myself counseling the client/customer that they are not "crazy," and should not feel guilty for expecting a certain level of service.

I'm only halfway kidding here... I almost feel like we should all form a group to march across the country, with Jennifer as the lead, to challenge people to simply raise their expectations of service - and to (constructively) express their grievances when they receive poor service.
05-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Sigh... what an awesome group we have here... I'm SO proud!