Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mass email vs newsletter: me not get it
02-05-2012, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2012 01:47 PM by Alberta Realtor.)
Mass email vs newsletter: me not get it
Heya -

So because I come from the online marketing world, I tend to think of "mass emails" and "newsletters" as practically the same thing. i.e. you should ALWAYS be "personal" and "conversational" anyway ... and you should always give folks the opportunity to VOLUNTARILY opt-in. I've received so many unsolicited "mass emails" from people in my city and it annoys the heck outta me. i.e. I always, always think to myself "How did I get on this email list? I never opted in to anything?!?"

Anyhoo, what I would write for a "mass email" and a "newsletter" feels like it overlaps a LOT. Are mass emails meant for Group 1 and newsletters for everyone else? And even so, what would *really* be the difference content-wise? And wouldn't you be using a contact mgt system for BOTH of these anyway? (e.g. Aweber, Constant Contact, etc.) I would definitely try to segment my lists (inside the system) but I still think much of the content would be the same...

Just wanting to open up the discussion here and see how folks handle this.

As an aside: I do plan on keeping a blog so that would be my jumping off point or "reason" for sending out a newsletter.

Thoughts? Opinions? Stories?
Karri
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2012, 02:19 PM
RE: Mass email vs newsletter: me not get it
Karri - did you attend my webinar last Thursday on this very topic? I answered all these questions ;-]

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
02-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Good question Karri. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in on the last webinar either.

Jennifer, is there access to a copy of the webinar (for purchase or not)? I know you have audio - I was wondering if you had videos too. Hope so.
02-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi Erin,

Don't have the video - but that wasn't a big part of the show; most of the meaningful stuff was in the audio ;-].

If you're a member of Club SWS, you can get it there (http://www.clubsws.info), or it's available in my bookstore... http://www.SWSStore.com - just look for the SWS Teleseminars category and then sort by Most Recent!

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck