Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reconnecting with Soul
04-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Reconnecting with Soul
I am making a huge push to follow the SWS SOI "road map", with my own little twists.

So...

I am updating and fine tuning my SOI. I was looking through my Facebook friends list and ran into a slight problem. Now everyone I am "friends" with I do know or have spoken with at some point in my life. But, like with most people, it is made up of good friends, relatives, associates, coworkers, high school classmates, etc. Big diverse group.

I am stuck on figuring out how to weed out those I should put in my SOI and those I should not. I have a hard time thinking about starting mailers (have some custom magnets I will be ordering) to people I have not "spoken" with since High School, never mind asking them for an email or physical address?? On one hand I feel I could send out an interesting and creative reconnection letter, but on the other I feel like once they get the letter and the magnet, they'll feel it was the only reason I am reconnecting, and that is the last thing I want.

Thankfully even through High School and College I believe I carried myself as a RCHB and I truly have interest in helping whoever I can and believe I bring a lot of value to the table. It's just finding that line in your SOI. Where do you draw it?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-23-2012, 07:37 AM
RE: Reconnecting with Soul
B...

Don't over think this... but what you're going through is very very normal and I'm thrilled you're struggling with it. Most new agents buy into the nonsense that their friends will be delighted to suddenly be marketed to incessantly because they care SO MUCH about you and your new business. Eh... no... they really don't and if you approach them aggressively, you'll find yourself with a few fewer friends than you had before!

Do you have any of my books? I talk about getting reconnected with your SOI quite a bit in "FUN" and "Prospect with Soul." It's more of an attitude of your approach more so than the technicalities of it, and once you grasp the mindset, the answers to your questions will be a little more obvious to you.

Personally, if I were building an SOI from scratch, I would not market to people I hadn't spoken with in years (frankly, I don't even like the word "market" when it comes to your SOI). But it's a fine line - some SWS'ers overthink and overanalyze this to the point of doing nothing at all... and then fret when their friends suddenly start buying and selling houses without them.

The secret really is to connect with people in a manner that you'd like to be connected with if, let's say, an acquaintance just opened up an insurance office and needs to spread the word. What could he or she do or say or send out that would inspire YOU to be willing to hear from them again?

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user