Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Agent/New to SWS
05-04-2012, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012 07:12 AM by Lisa Marie.)
New Agent/New to SWS
Hi! I am still in my rookie year in real estate. Got my license in October 2011, signed on with a tiny real estate office, and was promptly informed on my first day in the office that I was not going to sell anything until the holidays passed and the phone started ringing again. WHAT???

OK, then, I figured......lots of time for training. I was so thrilled when my broker took me out for coffee and discussed the all-important SOI and my introductory letter. GREAT!, I thought, she really IS a hands-on broker. NOT! After that, I tried for about a month to set up a follow-up meeting with her. I would go into the office hoping she would be there. I would send emails expecting an actual reply. Got little in the way of further training.

OK, then......I need to figure this out on my own. So I started reading online, thought about buying some books, etc. I came across SWS book on amazon.com and ALMOST bought it. Spent a lot of time thinking, reading, and researching and came up with lots of ideas that I wasn't-and still am not sure how to implement (especially in a cost-effective manner).

Then, my cousin and her boyfriend decided they wanted to buy a house and my plunge into real estate began. It's a long story, but 3 offers and a new broker-for-me later, and I have completed my first sale! YAY!!!

But now what? I love the new broker and consider him a friend, but still I'm not comfortable with most of his methods for myself. But I love that he knows that I must find what works for me and encourages me to figure it out. He is there when I need him. But still not enough training for me. I need to know what I'm doing and I need to be confident in it. I think I've found the right place!

(And it's a long story, but my user name is a nickname given to me by my broker. He's a great guy!)
Find all posts by this user
05-05-2012, 05:48 AM
RE: New Agent/New to SWS
Welcome to SWS! And congratulations on your first closing.

Most new agents are disappointed in the training they receive; in fact, practically all are. It's pathetic, actually. They want you to make an announcement to your friends and family that you're open for business, but don't seem to think it's important that you have any idea what you're doing. And what we do is much more complicated than it appears from the outside and there IS a lot to learn.

Did you ever pony up the $18 and buy SWS? ;-] There is a lot of good information in there for new agents as to how to actually BE a good real estate agent, and of course, there are bunches of other resources 'round here for the taking... and some are absolutely freeee!

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2012, 07:08 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012 07:09 AM by Lisa Marie.)
RE: New Agent/New to SWS
As far as training, I kind of understood coming into the field that I wouldn't get much and thought I was prepared for it. But WOW! It's bad. If I was a broker, I would be a nervous wreck to have so many agents out there not knowing what they are doing and yet being responsible for their actions. I would think that alone would be incentive for brokers to provide better training.

I'm ponying up to get the book today. Ordered from amazon.com. I really wish I had bought it when I almost did a couple of months ago. The kind of training I am most interested in is understanding my responsibilities to the public, knowing the contracts, etc. You know, being competent and condfident. And the 30 days you suggest I spend learning it is how I thought I would (or should) be trained. I am glad I am here and learning to SWS before my enthusiasm is lost.

Thanks for your quick response to my intro! As my broker says, this is gonna be great!
Find all posts by this user