Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Helloooo from Texas!
01-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Helloooo from Texas!
I am so excited to have found this site!!!

I have just taken my classes and am awaiting approval from TREC to proceed with taking my test. I have a job waiting for me at a small brokerage in a nearby town. It is the only one I interviewed with and they are willing to take me on a part time basis. It is a new office (1.5 years) which I feel is good and bad but last year they ranked 15 out of 34 offices with only herself and one new (1.5 years) full time and one part time agent. The broker is very concerned about the office image and says we work with integrity (our word is our bond). I was sold!!! My only expenses are association fees, business cards and sign riders. I am grateful for that!! My main concern is that the area is 30 minutes from where I now live and although I know the area I don't "KNOW" the area. We have been considering selling our house and moving for quite some time so the timing seems perfect.

I would love any pointers or tips from those who have started part time. Idea I know Jennifer says part time is hard but... I can't afford to give up my full time job yet. I am fortunate that I have a lot of free time at my full time job and my husband is willing to help me with signs, errands and whatever else I need him to do that I can't do because of my 7:30 - 4 J-O-B. So I feel like I will be more than a part timer but not quite a full timer.

I worked in property management and sold owner financed homes for a single investor for about 15 years (no license required) but that was about 8 years ago. He also built new homes and so I got to work with the title company and the realtor to see that aspect of the business. I loved it and truly miss it. That's why I decided to get my real estate license. I am thinking my niche might be investors but it's really too early to tell.

I have read a lot of posts in this forum and there is a lot of great information. Actually some of the posts have made me a little nervous about the industry. I knew it would be slow breaking into the business but now my eyes are wide open.

Funds are limited but I'm planning on buying Jennifer's Book (Sell with Soul: Creating an Extraordinary Career in Real Estate without Losing Your Friends, Your Principles or Your Self-Respect) and/or The "So, You're ALMOST a Real Estate Agent" Mini-Clinic Course. Not sure which would be better use of funds. Any advice????Huh

Anyway, sorry for the long post. It's nice to "meet" everyone and I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you. Feel free to send this "soon to be newbie" any tips or pointers!

Have a great day!!!
Kathy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2013, 07:47 AM
RE: Helloooo from Texas!
Hi Kathy,
I can feel your enthusiasm and love it! I am retaking my lic test on 2/12. I was in real estate years ago, for only a couple of year but I loved it. I quit at that time because my kids were so young that it was a really tough juggle with my husband who was trying to get his business off the ground. Now my kids are much older and driving (except the 10 yr old lol).

I did the 'so you're almost a real estate agent' and really enjoyed it. Jennifer gives a lot if useful tips and ideas of things that you can do now to help you be better prepared for the arrival of your lic. I also have a few of her books which I love but I think you would get the most bang for your buck right now with her 'so you're almost an RE agent' program.

Best of luck!
Find all posts by this user
01-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Hi daceco!

Thanks for the response. I was kind of leaning towards that one and really appreciate your input. It is hard with young children in the house. My youngest is in college so the timing is perfect.

Good luck to you as well!!
01-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Kathy - I just dug up this blog for someone else and thought it might help you a little... see what you think!

http://swsconnect.com/searchable/soul/?p=762

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
02-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Great article Jennifer. I agree it will be tough but I have to go for it. Fortunately, my job is very flexible.
02-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Welcome Kathy!!! Everything I have purchased through SWS have been great!!! I love it most of all because it fits me and is NOT the traditional ideas of servicing the real estate industry. My gift is service so SWS philosophy is right on target with mine. Can't go wrong with anything SWS offers!!! Love to have ya join us!!
Find all posts by this user
02-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks Carla!