Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Customer Service in RE
04-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Customer Service in RE
Hello,

This question may be too general but I was wondering what are the typical types of customer service problems in a RE career. I am sure from time to time Realtors have to deal with mean or angry clients. What kind of situations would be the cause? Forgive my naivety. I have read many of the good things about RE and as far as the business/marketing aspect goes I feel pretty good about what I can do with that... though I am under no illusion that RE success isn't extremely hard. I started and ran my own advertising business in my early 20s so I know the effort it takes to start something and get new clients. But as far as what to expect in client relationships; what are the sorts of things that would make for an angry client that are beyond the control of the Realtor? I am drawn to SWS because I know that I want happy clients who trust me... so as a Realtor, what kinds of things would I not have control over that would potentially bite me in the rear? Or, are there not many situations like that (wouldn't that be great!)?
Find all posts by this user
04-19-2013, 08:39 AM
RE: Customer Service in RE
Merry Mae - I'm thrilled that you're asking this question!!! Most new agents only care about how to market themselves without much thought as to what they'll actually do with the clients their marketing attracts...

And yes, our job is primarily a customer service job. No, not sitting in a cubicle with a head-set, but managing a complicated process for our clients from start to finish, heading off problems before they occur, dealing with problems when they occur and making sure our clients are thrilled with our service by being competent, responsive and knowledgeable.

It's hard to answer your specific question specifically because there are SO many things that we deal with on a daily basis that can be classified as customer service, and can make the difference between an unhappy client... a reasonably satisfied one... and a "wow'ed" one.

But to summarize... being a great real estate agent involves A LOT of problem-solving and customer service and if that's one of your strengths, you'll enjoy it. In fact, once you have some confidence in your ability to solve problems, you might even look forward to them to show off your problem-solving prowess :-)

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for the reply! I figured my question was too broad to really be answered specifically. But I really appreciate the information you provided. I was originally worried that real estate would be too boring of a career, but I am finding your book really fascinating and it has helped me tremendously in deciding to pursue RE.
04-21-2013, 07:49 AM
No... you will NOT be bored, I can assure you of that. Unless, of course, you spend your days cold-calling and door-knocking. ACK. I can't imagine getting up every morning with that to look forward to!

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
04-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Merry Mae,

In my short one year career, I've discovered that managing expectations is very important in the client relationship. Do what you say you'll do, when you say you'll do it and you'll be ahead of most folks. If you don't know the answer to something, say so and offer to research it and get back to the client. As Jennifer said, a lot of this job revolves around problem solving so staying calm and level headed is very important (though sometimes hard to do!), especially because the home buying or selling process is such an emotional one for the client. Prepare your clients from the beginning that there will be bumps along the way - possible inspection issues, financing delays, etc. as they probably don't understand all the things that may come up during the process. I think that if you are sincere in your desire to protect your clients' interests and handle their transaction with the same care with which you would handle your own, that will come through to them and keep the friction to a minimum.
04-23-2013, 04:35 AM
Wow - VERY well said Christine!!!

04-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Jennifer and Christine, thank you for such helpful responses! That is really excellent advice Christine!