Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Adapting selling with soul for "odd woman out"
10-30-2013, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 05:48 PM by Rg from ny.)
Adapting selling with soul for "odd woman out"
Hi. I just joined today. I'm kind of an odd personality, and am in need of ideas to get my SOI (limited as it is) to work for me. I moved to my present town a few years ago. I am a lawyer, and have worked from home most often for many years ... This was so that I could raise a family the best I knew how. Now that my kids are grown, I've decided to change careers ... Real estate is appealing since I honestly do love the feeling of helping people achieve what they hope for, and I have experience with staging. Got my broker's license this past summer (all I needed to do was send in a check, since I'm a lawyer). I have already switched realties once, as I sensed a better business opportunity in the second. I sold a property to the first customers I took out .... Since then, however, no sale or listing on the horizon although I am working with a couple of customers (leads through my broker).

I came upon your book in a google search, as I do realize that listings come primarily through personal referrals. Here's the problem ... I connect easily with people I meet casually. However, the prospect of "doing lunch" or joining in with a bake sale feels so not me! I can't cold call ... I feel like I'm boxed in a corner .... Thank you for your ear and, hopefully, advice.
Find all posts by this user
10-31-2013, 05:12 AM
RE: Adapting selling with soul for "odd woman out"
RK - have you read my book, Prospect with Soul? It might really help you figure out what will work for you to draw in business. Not trying to get into your pocketbook right off, but I do think it would be a good place to start.

I'm also curious how confident you feel in your Realtor skin since you didn't have to take any training (did I understand that correctly?). Not that real estate school teaches you much about a real estate practice, but still, I'd be very uncomfortable going into a career I had no real training in, even with your legal background.

Third thought - with your history in law, it might help you to think of your real estate career as a "practice" as opposed to a sales gig. Approach it from a consulting perspective and that might open your mind to business development opportunities that are all around you...

And, last... WELCOME!

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-31-2013, 08:15 AM
Thank you very much for your reply, Jennifer. In the last few months I have taken out buyers, done a few open houses, presented two offers, sought an expired, presented for a listing and put out my first direct mail in a carefully considered target area. I ask every friendly agent for advice along the way, and have called my local realty board for guidance on occasion.

You are correct in that I am definitely not a sales oriented person. My professional associations have mostly been long term, initiated years ago through advertising. (I was basically a legal consultant/ writer, so never had to sell myself to the public). In your experience, is direct mail worthwhile for realtors?

I am the odd girl out in that I have the tools to bond quickly and effectively with customers, but finding customers ... That's a challenge.

I will definitely read Prospect with Soul! Thanks again. Robin
10-31-2013, 08:17 AM
I was/am exactly the same way - if someone gets on my radar, they're mine, but going out and finding them is painful for me.

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
10-31-2013, 08:25 AM
I'm kind of on my own here (sometimes it feels like swimming with the sharks, but I have experience with that). I very much appreciate your support, and have just purchased Prospect with Soul, on kindle. Will read it today. Thanks again!
12-22-2013, 01:05 PM
I will be your twin sister when I get my license....not much of a 'seller', I'd rather help buyers find their dreams than woo sellers. Not sure how I'll approach that, although I shall be getting Jennifer's Prospecting book once I'm ready to roll....

I've only been where I live for 1.5 years, but probably know more folks here than I did where I lived for 9 years previously (but that's not saying much LOL) I stayed at home as well to raise my son.

Come on other folks, more input for both of us Smile

Hil
12-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Welcome, Hil! Please feel free to email me through this forum if you'd like any details about my experiences thus far. If you are a lawyer, I think you will experience some culture shock, particularly if you choose to join a large real estate office. I am following, generally, Jennifer's philosophy as my business model. Sometimes that takes me just a bit out of my comfort zone, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Best of luck. Rg
01-15-2014, 03:28 AM
I'm one of those who doesn't want to bother anyone, especially if they're not currently looking to add agents.

Braindumps mybraindumps
03-20-2014, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 11:51 AM by TMack.)
(10-31-2013 08:15 AM)Rg from ny Wrote:  In the last few months I have taken out buyers, done a few open houses, presented two offers, sought an expired, presented for a listing and put out my first direct mail in a carefully considered target area.

Just as a tip from someone who has experience some success from direct mail... if you are going to do Direct Mail, just make sure you are CONSISTENT. If you aren't willing to stick with it, and be consistent, it's better not to bother with it. Too many agents waste good money on just a couple of mailers. (we didn't start to see results until after 4-5 mailers)

But as with anything in real estate, typically the people at the top are the ones who are consistently consistent.

Hope that helps.
03-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Thank you for commenting, tmack! I have finally settled on a "farm" area, and am mailing consistently to the farm and SOI. If the studies are correct, I will hopefully see results down the road.