Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help me build my foundation.
11-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Question Help me build my foundation.
Just joined the forum today. Passed my test this Friday and doing research as to which brokers to join. Being a newbie, I am looking to join the strongest competition in the neighborhood- with the best training/mentoring etc. Based on this I have a few questions:
1. How to find out the top producing office/co./firm in the county/city/neighborhood?
2. How to find out the top grossing agent in your area?
3. As only two months are left in this year, how can I join a good broker yet save my self from spending the unnecessary $1000-$1200 (A quote given to me by a well known RE broker for joining his office-he said this is based on a few fees being pro-rated). I don't mind investing this once the year starts. Though that also means I'll spend almost double or more, but at least I will have to whole year to utilize my services I have paid for right?
I have been told by friends, family and members on other RE boards that if I care so much about the expense of the remaining two months, I should prolly hang my license in Jan. Unfortunately, I don't want to do that. I want to be learning and want to jump into this wonderful new world and start building my career without wasting a single day.
Find all posts by this user
11-05-2013, 04:02 PM
RE: Help me build my foundation.
Bump? Anyone?
11-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Hey Jrsy...

I wish I had some brilliant answers for you, but I really don't. I would assume that the "top producing office" in your area would be obvious - who seems to have the most number of For Sale signs around? Ditto the top-producing agent. However, I'm not sure these should be deciding factors for you - why are you focused on those in selecting offices to consider?

In fact, the "top producing" offices might have the worst training - I say that because the companies who traditionally offer new agent training tend to get a lot of new agents! Most of whom will quit within the year. You might find that the most successful offices are ones that attract more experienced agents who aren't interested in paying for training in their office costs - that was the old Re/MAX model although I don't believe it's so much the case any more.

But again, I'm curious - why are these figures important to you?

As far as avoiding the upfront costs now versus starting in January - my best guess is that either you can or you can't, so there really isn't going to be a strategy to avoid them aside from waiting until January if the case is that you can't avoid them by starting now. It's not the worst thing in the world to wait - you can spend the next two months getting prepared so you'll hit the ground running January 1st - I have a little mini-clinic course specifically for this situation - things you can do BEFORE being licensed so you're more ready to go once you are licensed.

Does this help at all?

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2013, 01:48 PM
As far as the fees, when I first joined, the recurring annual fees were pro-rated, so it did not matter and anything that was not pro-rated was an upfront fee, not anything that came around again. Not sure what fees you have, though, so hard to answer the question.

As far as which office to join, my observation has been the top producing agents have been around a long time and have a rock solid base of business - they do not need training and often are not even in the office. Not sure why that would be a factor because it is not an indicator of future success for a new agent. In fact, often it is the exact opposite. It depends on what you are seeking.
11-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi Jen and Susan-

thanks a lot for your replies. I talked to a top producer today, she just joined KW. Not sure yet, but I am leaning towards joining KW and asking her to be my mentor.

Weichert talked about a 2 yr contract which didn't make me comfortable plus my listings stay with them vs KW where I can take my listings with me. Weichert has this great training and everyday rigorous office trainings sessions by the broker for free vs KW I didn't really sense that. I understood training will be there but to what extent wasn't really very clear. PLus I will be paying my mentor (most likely 25% to 35%) AND my "productivity coach" (most likely 10%). Another thing is that W. has a good lead system(but after all splits and stuff I am left with a very small amount of money in my hands), KW said if I list the leads belong to me....it wont be handed out to other agents...but that makes me uncomfortable, as that equates to new agents= no listing= no leads. UGH!! All this is making me still be unsure as to whom to join. But maybe I join KW just to be with the top producer and be mentored by her. She BTW, seemed like an AWESEOM person and VERY helpful.
11-16-2013, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2013 04:14 PM by Rg from ny.)
(11-08-2013 01:48 PM)Susan Haughton Wrote:  As far as the fees, when I first joined, the recurring annual fees were pro-rated, so it did not matter and anything that was not pro-rated was an upfront fee, not anything that came around again. Not sure what fees you have, though, so hard to answer the question.

As far as which office to join, my observation has been the top producing agents have been around a long time and have a rock solid base of business - they do not need training and often are not even in the office. Not sure why that would be a factor because it is not an indicator of future success for a new agent. In fact, often it is the exact opposite. It depends on what you are seeking.

(11-08-2013 01:48 PM)Susan Haughton Wrote:  As far as the fees, when I first joined, the recurring annual fees were pro-rated, so it did not matter and anything that was not pro-rated was an upfront fee, not anything that came around again. Not sure what fees you have, though, so hard to answer the question.

Hi Susan. I have been licensed since the summer. Just read your post above ... What do you consider to be the indicators for future success of a new agent? Thank you! Robin
11-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Also, I wanted to Join a co. where top producers come from, so that I can be mentored by one of them and get an inside peek of what they do right.
12-18-2013, 02:18 PM
(11-16-2013 04:43 PM)JrsyGal Wrote:  Also, I wanted to Join a co. where top producers come from, so that I can be mentored by one of them and get an inside peek of what they do right.

Hi JrsyGal,
Just wanted to let you know that I recently made the jump to Keller Williams from CB. Now that I made the jump, I can say that it was one of the best decisions of my career so far. The culture is full of people who seek to produce (and share), and IMO that is great in and of itself. Furthermore, my office has frequent trainings throughout the week by a lot of top producing and experienced agents. The commission split isn't bad either.

Needless to say, each office is different, so always make sure that you like the actual office, and not just the big name. As always, your first several years you should go with the mentality of working to learn, more so than working to earn.

Hope that helps!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user