Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scared to take course, and not have a 'home' at the end...thoughts?
11-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Question Scared to take course, and not have a 'home' at the end...thoughts?
OK, yep, I'm one of those on a pretty limited budget, so I read all the great threads here about how to do this with limited $$$....

I really want to do the licensing course here in TX, but it's fairly expensive compared to MD, where I took it back in 2004. It's around $500-$1000 (depends on who's offering the course, and specs).

I don't want to even spend the $500 level if I then have to go hunting for a broker to sponsor me. I had an idea, want your thoughts on it.

I was thinking of writing a sort of resume/letter to send to offices I think I might be interested in. It would contain a one to two short paragraph intro of who I am and what I seek, with some juicy enticement words/phrases to get them to see part two. Part two would be maybe a bullet point list of skills I have NOW and offer NOW while they wait for me to do the test, and that are valuable to them LATER as well (knowing the MLS, knowing some marketing, being high tech, research skills, currently assisting REs, etc...)

Do any of you think this might get any type of result, or at least, when I feel I can walk into their office with the license (can I get it unsponsored?) or test results, that they'll remember me and not be annoyed? LOL

Yep, I wanna do the legwork behind the scenes first. I'm that kinda gal..

Thanks!

Hil
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-19-2013, 08:59 AM
RE: Scared to take course, and not have a 'home' at the end...thoughts?
Hil - are you worried that you won't be able to find a broker to work for? If so, I wouldn't give that another thought - I welcome others' input here, but in most cases, YOU'RE the one doing the picking and choosing, not the other way around.

Or, by "sponsor" do you mean getting a broker to pay for your schooling? (I'm unfamiliar with the term as it applies in Texas).

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
11-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Mostly finding a broker to work under at first. I'd like if they'd pay my course, but that's not looking good here LOL It was common in MD at the time because it was so reasonable, I suppose.

I just don't really feel like doing that little spiel on my feet in their door, waiting for it to slam. I'm thinking it might pique a broker's interest without pressure that way? (OK, pressure on EITHER of us Wink )
11-19-2013, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2013 04:54 PM by Alberta Realtor.)
I know the market is rebounding in the US but in 2013 I can't really see a broker wanting to sponsor someone because the broker is more concerned about "what's in it for me?" rather than headhunting agents. During the boom maybe, but now? Hard to imagine.

I'm in a small city in Alberta where the market is relatively soft so this is why I say the above. In a hot market though I can see a broker possibly doing this ... I honestly don't know.

Then again, in Alberta it's at least $5000 to get fully licensed! If you're not able to invest $500 then are you able to carry yourself in real estate for 6 months or longer without any income?
11-19-2013, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2013 04:58 PM by HMeader.)
Disregard 'sponsor' and them paying........

So how does any new agent get a spot with a brokerage if the brokers are so bloodthirsty for the best? This is what I fear most....
11-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Here in ny, agents pay their own way ... Licensing fees, real estate board membership fees (mandatory) and pay in for insurance. However, an agent can generally join most any realty, as agents work straight commission. Also, the more agents an agency has, the wider the net for the realty and the greater the likelihood for new listings.
Find all posts by this user
11-21-2013, 02:30 PM
So RG, I'm not talking about paying for me, I'm talking about WANTING ME IN ANY FORM after I take the test.

How does one go about it, and what arguments for/against me will they present for me to have to discuss?

Thanks
11-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Here in ny, by and large, a realty will hire any agent who walks through the door since it costs the realty virtually nothing to have you. You will share with the realty a large percentage of any commission you may earn. You are giving your valuable time to the realty, with no salary. As long as you seem to have a relatively good head on your shoulders, they will hire you. So, at least here, the realty is essentially being interviewed by you, rather than the reverse.
Find all posts by this user