Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Training that's not a fit
04-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Sad Training that's not a fit
I'm newly licensed, and signed on with the local office of a major company two weeks ago. I was drawn to this office because the sales manager talked about the in-depth training. And it's a brand new location (for a multi-office franchise) so a lot of the other agents are also rookies. Win-win, right?

Maybe not.

My sales manager has us doing Floyd Wickman's Sweathogs training - and our first "homework" is to do three mornings of cold calls in the office before next week. Ugh!

I have a pretty extensive SOI - and already have 3 leads based on just announcing that I was going into real estate on Facebook over the past few weeks - and that's without my announcement postcards (sent the day before I discovered SWS last week) arriving yet.

Any suggestions for how to politely push back on the sales manager's homework assignment? I don't want to disappoint her or anything, but I also want nothing to do with spending 3 mornings in the office calling strangers, and despite the training being successful for her (she's done it twice herself), it sounds like a form of torture to me.
Find all posts by this user
04-15-2014, 05:47 PM
RE: Training that's not a fit
Well. My manager has the same business/prospecting model. Bottom line, though, is that you are not their employee ... You are an independent contractor (I'm assuming), and this is your business, not your manager's. I emailed my manager early on and told her that for the time being I would be running an SOI based business. That was that. In the end, I think they only care that you make money for the company. Realize, though, that there may be veracity to the cold calling model. That it can be very successful. So, approach with respect, but give your own business model a chance first, if you are so inclined. Seems that is your prerogative. I get subtle pressure now and again in my office to get with the program ... I just smile and ignore.
Find all posts by this user
04-16-2014, 05:40 AM
Ditto what RG said!

I would NOT work in an office that even implied that I was required to prospect in ways that feel icky to me, but that doesn't mean you can just sit there and do nothing, waiting for your SOI to start calling. I know you know that, but it's worth saying :-)

So, just smile politely and go about your business, your way... and create your OWN plan for inspiring the people you know and the people you meet to be supportive of your real estate business.

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-20-2014, 11:14 PM
I did and do just that, early on I was told that I needed a coach (by the coach) and that it was a requirement. I promptly fired off emails and was told it didn't apply to me. I couldn't see myself paying for a coach after having successfully built my other business from the ground up with "word of mouth" and my website. I will cold call but I will cold call who I know and already have a number or method of contact they personally provided me. Besides I'm afraid of the DNC rules, you won't catch me mistake of a colleague that touted cold calling and called someone that had their phone forwarded to a number on the DNC list lol
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user