Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Open House follow up and Conversion to Clients
08-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Open House follow up and Conversion to Clients
Hi All,

I was wondering what everyone does with people you meet at Open Houses you have held. I have not been having any luck grabbing anyone's attention. I should note that right now our area is having a serious drop in sales and buyers, whereas this area is usually on FIRE (Northern VA)

Here is what I have been doing:
During/Before Open House:
-Print outs of Homes for sale in the area within a range somewhat close to the home I am holding open (50K below and above) with my card stapled to it.

-A flier with my mobile app sign up info on it to search Homes and Open Houses.

-Print outs of the current home-I just take these from the MLS because the homes I am holding open usually already have lovely pamphlets made up for them by the Listing Agent.

-Cookies, soft music, sign in book, etc.

After Open House:
I write a hand-written thank you note to the person the next day. Then 2-3 days later I set them up with MLS Listing emails and kind of a welcome email. I also put them in my contact management system -where I have created short and educational/helpful emails for a touch system (of 15-20) emails over the course of a year rather than the 33 I have been told was good number).

I HATE calling strangers on the phone. HATE it. I think I would rather flush my head down the toilet than call strangers. Plus, many of these people have been to many Open Houses that day. I am probably not the only agent "harassing them". Also, this area is very diverse and some people have accents that are difficult enough to understand in person not to mention on the phone.--That probably sounded awful! I guess these are the reasons I procrastinate when it comes to talking on the phone with people I do not know. 1) I am afraid I am bothering/annoying them 2) I am worried they will ask me something I don't know the answer to 3) I am afraid I won't understand what they are saying. 4) I am unsure of what to say. I have always done better writing.

But I have had zero responses or opened emails for those people. I have done about 6 Open Houses so far and like I said things are slow right now.

Even though I have a phone phobia I still have a few calls later on in my drip campaigns. What else can I do? What am I not doing right? Or is it just an issue of time? If I do need to make a follow up phone call, what should I say to keep it unobstrusive and not awkward?

I was thinking of asking people who come in if they are looking at any other Open Houses in the area and then showing them my app on my phone which can find all Open Houses nearby so maybe they will download it right then.

I am also a bit surprised at how awkward I feel talking to people at Open Houses because I am an outgoing and friendly person. I think it is just that it is new for me and it is not entirely a natural discussion as their are certain things I am trying to find out about them. I hate contrived anything!
Thanks for any advice you all can give!
Find all posts by this user
08-14-2014, 03:22 PM
RE: Open House follow up and Conversion to Clients
Hi Allison. I'm in my second year as an agent. Here are my thoughts: First, realize that a lot of buyers go to open houses because they do not want to work with an agent -- they want to look independently or just scope out the neighborhood.

Personally, I would be careful about leaving "comps" at an open house ... I think that takes attention away from the home you are trying to sell. Might want to ask your broker about that.

Think of when you walk into a department store, and a salesperson asks if you would like any help. Usually you say no, right? But after a time, you might find yourself looking for someone to help you ....

I give a relaxed tour at the open house. Usually I'll ask as we start to walk through the house what general area they live in and if they've been looking for a long time. From that point it's really all about the house. At the end of the tour, if the folks look like they have let their guard down a bit, I'll ask if they have any questions about the neighborhood. Sometimes I will volunteer some info about the area that I guess they might be interested in. If the conversation goes on from there, fine. If not, we're done. I offer my card, and that's my last contact with these folks unless they call me. I don't know if that is the correct thing to do, but it keeps things from getting frustrating. We only have so much energy to give to our job ... better to devote time to developing a presence in the community, and to serious buyers and sellers who are on the same page as you!

Hope this was good advice. Robin
08-15-2014, 05:49 AM
EXCELLENT advice Robin. Every bit of it, including having printouts of other houses lying around. The seller would not appreciate that at all.

Allison - do you have my book Prospect with Soul? There is a chapter in there about open houses that I think you would enjoy :-)

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-15-2014, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2014 02:01 PM by Allisones1978.)
Thanks for the replies. I did other homes for sale in the area because I have read places to do that and been told to do that from a Realtor friend. I am promoting the House I am holding open, but it is more like a pamphlet they can take with them in addition to the very nice brouchure on that house.

Is it possible it is different in different markets?
Oh and yes, Jennifer I have 3 of your Soul Books including Prospect with Soul. I love them.
08-18-2014, 07:59 AM
No, every real estate agent does it at their open houses - it's just something to be subtle about so as to respect the seller who is having you hold their home open.

I will also add here that your being "conversationally familiar" with the other properties is going to be far more compelling to visitors than a brochure... If you do both (be familiar with the properties and can speak intelligently about them and have something to refer to), that's your best bet to inspiring visitors to want you to contact them afterwards.

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-19-2014, 02:50 PM
I have a question regarding the mobile apps you mentioned in your first message. Can you tell me about them? Thanks!