Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Opinions on SOI/Contact List
11-20-2008, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2011 06:52 AM by Jennifer Allan Hagedorn.)
Opinions on SOI/Contact List
NOTE FROM JENNIFER: In conjunction with the creation of the new Contact Management with Soul board, I'm moving all our past contact management discussions here!

I need a little help with this.
I have been in another business for over 25 years. I put a lot of those names into my data base.
I put many of the floor calls I receive into my data base.
I have over 2500 in my data base but I don't know just who I should consider my SOI, who I should continue to market to, who should just hang around in my contact management program, and who I should remove from my data base?

Examples:
A gal called on my 1-800 number regarding a house a friend had listed back in 2006. I followed up with a call and entered her into the data base. This fall she called looking for the listing agent who had the house listed that she ended up buying at that time. It was purely accidental that she got a hold of me but I got it listed. I don't know if it was a benefit to still have her in the data base or not.

A friend of a friend called to look at some property about 18 months ago. I have bumped into him in other circles since but no discussions on real estate. Tuesday he emailed looking again.

In years past I bought 200 calendars and we threw away at least 50 of them. We bought 200 this year and and picked through the list and printed addresses on about 175 of them. Considering another 100 but I
think I will wait for advice. I haven't mailed out many of them yet since I can't afford the postage. Yes. I am that broke.

I know I have more than 100 hundred names in my data base that haven't had any activity for 1 or 2 years and think maybe I should remove them.
They are old floor calls and callers on my 1-800 number. What do you suggest?
Looking for the excellent advice that I know is here.
Brent
11-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Re: Opinions on SOI/Contact List
Okay, so in order to implement a true SOI campaign, you'll need to do some clean-up on the database, but that doesn't mean you have to wipe it out.

First, here's an idea to deal with the 2500. If you have email addresses for them, I'd do a little virtual tour or photo show of something cool that would appeal to most people - like photos of the first snow or something - and just send it out to everyone with a short note. You'll get back tons of rejects which you can delete from your database. You might get some nice comments as well. Anyway, this will help trim the list a bit. If you don't want to do a photo show, you can just send out some sort of generic, but interesting email - maybe even a Happy Thanksgiving one or something.

Second, I'd probably sit down and start from scratch building your "true" SOI. Make a list of everyone you know and carry a notebook with you at all times to record more names as you think of them, or meet new people. Make an effort to meet new people, without sales pitching them.

At the same time, go through your list of 2500 and create a group for those who you have no idea who they are. No reason to get rid of them, but neither do you need to spend much time or money there. Your SOI consists, not just of names on a list, but of 'EVERYONE WHO KNOWS YOU AND KNOWS THAT YOU SELL REAL ESTATE.' If you have no idea who someone is, chances are they don't know you either and aren't in your SOI.

So, at the end of the "day," you should have two or three lists - one of your true SOI - that is, people you know and who know you and another of names from your database that you don't recognize. The third list, if any, would be people from your database whom you vaguely recognize the name and think they might know who you are.

Once this is done... check back and we'll go from there!

Questions? Comments?

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user