Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Saving face: The electronic lock box. It wants to make you a fool.
04-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Saving face: The electronic lock box. It wants to make you a fool.
There is another thread about listing services, etc., which mentioned electronic lockboxes.

Our wonderful devices are so cool, you enter your pin# on your key fob that looks like a small light sabre, push the enter button and voila! out pops a drawer on the bottom of the lock box with the needed key. (OK, so I am often easily impressed.)

Here is a bit of advice. Always cup your hand under the drawer as it pops open. On rare occasions, the key will have sufficient kinetic energy (it is a very complicated formula involving angle of box, spring pressure, angle of key repose, etc.) to score a perfect 10 performing a quadruple flip with half turn on its way to whatever is below.

The key gets extra points by staying just out of your grasp, as you watch the entire debacle unfold in horrifying slow motion. Keys and lockboxes have much idle time to plan these things in many markets.

Now if you are on a concrete porch or stoop, etc. Not much problem...(there was a comment about sexy jeans here that was edited)...[glow=red,2,300]BUT[/glow](yes, 1 "t")... if what you are standing on happens to be a deck, with sufficient gap between the deck boards...do you really want to be crawling under that deck, retrieving the key while your prospect/client turned audience watches?

Not that something very, very close to this ever happened to me, oh, like on my first freakin' showing or anything...  Well, we want them to remember us...
04-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Re: Saving face: The electronic lock box. It wants to make you a fool.
Bill - That sounds like every showing I've ever had. I wore out the knees on three pairs of pants crawling under porches.
04-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Plus, it is really a bummer when you uncontrollably shout, "Oh SHI*!"
04-05-2009, 09:23 AM
This happened to me (with a manual lockbox, however) at the 2nd level front door of a mountain home... and guess what was below the elevated front porch? The dog pen. With two frothing-at-the-mouth rottweilers.

I don't remember the outcome of this event... but it's never happened again!

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Bill - It sounds like you folks have Supra lockboxes, which have a drawer that drops from the bottom. Our area switched recently to Sentrilock boxes. Advantages: you don't need a light saber (it uses a credit-card-sized key card), and there is no drawer to fall to the ground. Disadvantages, if the box is secured at the wrong angle, you have trouble reaching into the pop-out key compartment to retrieve the key. Plus, if you forget to hold the box while releasing the shackle, it can shatter your toes since it weights approximately 35 pounds. (I'm not sure what it actually weighs but it felt like 35 pounds when it dropped on my toes.)
04-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Ouch!
04-06-2009, 05:55 AM
And yet you're all shocked that we don't use them?

:Smile
04-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Clubs are heavy, too, Kim, so be careful. Wink
04-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I keep the club in the car until needed.  I used to have it on my key ring, but it kept whacking me in the shins.
04-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Ah yes...the dreaded lockbox...I also had an experience once where the key dropped out and fell right through the cracks in the porch...fortunately there were no mongrels underneath...just alot of weeds & spiderwebs...yuck...however...we now use a box that requires you to push up on the key container to release it...a little saving grace...