Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Agent
10-23-2009, 02:08 PM
New Agent
Hi everyone I am new to this site, I am also new to real estate. 
I want to send out a mailer and/or email to get my name out there. 
Any ideas on what to say on my mailer?
Any help would be appreciated it.  I just don't know where to start to get my name out there.
Thanks,
Jaime
10-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Re: New Agent
Jaime,

I highly recommend that you NOT "get your name out there" just yet. Take a little time and get used to your Realtor skin - learn more about selling real estate - your systems, your contracts and your market. In a month, you'll know so much more than you know now and you'll be glad you didn't start marketing yourself prematurely. I promise...

What training do you have on tap? Anything?

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Jaime,

I cannot agree with Jennifer more.  While conventional wisdom says you should send a letter to everyone you know announcing you are now in the real estate business and they should all see you for their real estate needs, who wants to be someone's first client!?!?

I'm just starting my 5th year and finally feel ready to send a letter to all my friends and acquaintances!  (Mind you, I bought the stamps 4 years ago -- I guess I need to buy some additional postage now...)  I'm not at all suggesting you wait this long!  Just until you figure out what you really want to say and who you want to be as a real estate professional. 

In the meantime, schedule lunch, coffee, drinks with friends and share your excitement about your new career and something cool you've learned.  It will be much more effective than the ubiquitous announcement letter, not to mention cheaper and more fun!
10-26-2009, 07:35 PM
I have an orientation with the MLS/Relator on Friday and I have orientation with the executive office tomorrow.  I feel like they are not really offering me much training, kind of here is your desk - jump in.
I have been trying to spend time checking out the markets and the documents.  I have had my license since September.  My main thing is it is hard for me to pay all these monthly fees for desk, MLS, being a member of NKY Realtors and not bringing in any money.  Right now I am paying to work and I need to be making some money!
Jaime
11-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Jamie,

I totally know how you feel, I am just completing my first year as an agent and I cannot tell you how much of a rollercoaster ride it's been.  Some weeks I wonder why I didn't start sooner and other weeks, days...even hours I never want to work with another client for the rest of my life.

The important thing I found that really helped me in my first year was to make friends with experienced agents in my brokerage.  I offered to help with open houses, and tagged along on tours of new listings.  Over time, you build relationships with the agents in your firm and they in turn offer pearls of wisdom that may or may not work into your buisness plan.  I also took opportunities with clients who wanted to list and referred them to a more experienced agent under the conditions that I could shadow the listing appointment, help with the marketing, work open houses etc... To me these are all what I would consider "safe" ways to gain experience and become more comfortable in your new realtor shoes Wink 

don't focus on the money just yet, realize that some of the things you are not getting paid for will turn into value in many other ways besides just dollar signs.
11-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Jaimie- I was in your shoes a little over a year ago.  The best this I did was get Jennifer's Rookie School and read her book.  I had training through my office- 2 weeks - and everything was about cold calling and knocking on doors.  One Sunday when I was sitting floor time and I had only 1 call I researched real estate training online and found Jenninfer's site.
I had no idea what to do to get my first clients - I just new I couldn't knock on doors.  I followed the plan laid out in the SWS Rookie School.  I figured at least I'd have something productive to do and let me tell you it worked. I got my license in Sept of 2008 (great time to start), but I hung in there and in 2009 I am close to closing 6 million.
You can do it!!!!
Erin
11-11-2009, 03:04 AM
This is great information, Erin... good for you!

By the way, Erin will be one of the guest-hosts at the next SWS Rookie-to-Rookie show... http://sellwithsoul.com/index.php?option...&Itemid=65

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user