Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
asking friends for referrals--yuck!
11-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Re: asking friends for referrals--yuck!
A few people (very few) can pull off aggressive prospecting and make it work for them. I've even been prospected to by a few of these masters and I was impressed. It's the people who know in their gut that they're doing something wrong, but do it anyway, who come across as cheesy and phony... BECAUSE THEY ARE!

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I, too, have been on the receiving end of such prospecting. Some people are so transparent about it that it boggles my mind that anyone buys this act! But then I've met others who even though I knew I was being sold, I didn't mind because they made me feel really good about it. I have an acquaintence who works in another line of sales and I've seen him in action, but he is so darn charasmatic about it that it.just.works. If it comes naturally, I'm okay with it. When it's clearly scripted I'm not okay with it.
11-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Exactly! I've been called on an expired listing before and it was fascinating how much better some agents were on the call than others. Some sounded pathetic; others actually inspired me to ask for their business cards...

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2009, 10:50 PM
All I can say is all of you rock!  Thanks so much for the reassurance that I'm going to still be successful even though I don't solicit.  It actually hit me Saturday night when I was at yet another event with my husband.  The whole reason I was going was to meet people, keep my ears open about people in the real estate market, and hopefully give out my business card.  I was so stressed beforehand about how I could get the conversation topic on real estate.  Finally, I said to myself "forget it!  If it comes up, it comes up, and if it doesn't, then that's fine too".  Actually, real estate didn't come up at all in any conversations, which was fine with me and I had a great time.  I finally realized that my social events shouldn't be "stalking events"!  I'll just converse with people at usual and maybe what I do will come up!  Takes so much pressure and stress off of me.  :-) 

Love this forum, and hopefully one day I can be one to give advice, rather than ask for it constantly!
11-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Bean....I love that..."social events shouldn't become stalking events".....soooo cool!!!

I love sharing stories so I want to chat about a similar situation that I recently experienced.  The BF and I were invited to a weekend wedding in Whistler.  From a "marketing" perspective, the event was stacked with great prospects.....professional 30-somethings, retiree-es ready to downsize, young families....there were easily 400 people with tons of money and they were trapped with me for a full weekend.  Yippeee....

Well, like you, the thought of stalking for business made me uncomfortable.  I dropped that tactic within 30 seconds of being handed my first cocktail and was just myself.....but the best guest version of myself.  No lampshades or naughty jokes for this gal.  But I was a fun guest.  And I was helpful....LOL...one night, when one of the bartenders didn't show up, I helped dish drinks because I was the only one certified to do so.  Wow...did that make me popular.  I didn't bring up my job once.  But, interestingly enough, the BF did... when people asked him what I did, he casually mentioned it.  Word spread because people blap (see definition above) By the end of the weekend, people were chatting to me about RE.  LOL...it kinda felt a bit jarring....I didn't want to talk business, I wanted to play....but they had my contact info and some great leads came of it.  All because I just went out and had a great time. 

Good luck and have fun out there!!!  Maggie  ;D
11-14-2009, 05:58 AM
I have nothing to contribute to this except - excellent thread.