Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First Impression Blown??
11-07-2009, 06:43 PM
First Impression Blown??
Ok, I just sent out my de-dorked announcement letter and used the free starter business cards my office supplied me. They are not generic, they actually have the company logo and my name and contact info printed on them.

Here's the problem, one of my friends called me to tell me they loved the letter, but my business card got smeared in the mail.  >Sad

The good news is that I only got 50 cards, so not everyone in my SOI got one. (I only gave cards to the 50 who live the closest to me and all the letters had my contact info). I am in the process of ordering "real" cards, but in the meantime I feel like I blew my only chance to make a good first impression as a RE agent and a RCHB.  I am kicking myself for being impatient and not waiting the 10 days for my new cards to come in.

Any advice on how to fix this, or do I just let it go for now and use my new cards the next time I send something out? (Which probably won't be for a while).
11-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Re: First Impression Blown??
Well, that sucks. And yeah, I always advise agents to WAIT until they have the good stuff... but oh well.

I'd probably make some lemonade out of this...

When your good cards come in, send them out to the 50 people in a personal note making fun of yourself ("My impatience gets me every time!").

I had a similar thing happen to me last Christmas - and it turned out great for me! Here's a link to the blog. http://activerain.com/blogsview/842680/c...o-lemonade

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks, Jennifer! I'll do that. 

Any opinion on whether or not to have a picture of yourself on the business card  - I still have time to add one if I want to. I know you say to make sure it's a really good pic so you don't avoid handing out the card, but in general, are there advantages to doing it way one or the other?
11-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Stay tuned for my opinion on that!

In a word. Yes. Picture. Do it. Okay, that's more than one word...

Back in a bit.

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
11-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Okay, I'm back.

Here's an excerpt from a newsletter I sent out last summer on the subject:

Photo or no photo? I'm a believer in having your photo on the card. I know some people think it's cheesy and geeky and if you DO feel that way, I'll support you 100% in not having your smiling face there. The last thing I want for SWS'ers is to feel cheesy!

But if you're on the fence, let me try to persuade you to use the photo. To use a tired cliché, it puts a face with a name. And especially if you're building a relationship-based business and want to add new friends to your database, it's best if your card reminds them who you are. How often do people say "I'm terrible with names, but I never forget a face!" Whenever I do speaking engagements, I always collect cards from the audience. I tell ya - when I go through the cards afterwards, I hardly ever remember the people without photos and almost always remember the ones with. One caveat - your photo must be one you're proud of. Never create a business card with a photo you hate - you might be vain like me and hesitate to hand it out!

11-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Here's a link to the email I sent to my SOI after the envelopes started coming back empty...

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs011...96144.html