Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just had to share...
11-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Just had to share...
Yesterday, I sent out my first mass email to my SOI. I am using the trial version of Constant Contact and they only allow 100 contacts in the trial version.

I wasn't sure what to write about since I already sent out my non-dorky "hey, I'm in real-estate" letter to them all. So I decided to send out info on the home buyer tax credit extension. I know, thrilling stuff.

But I made sure to use my own voice and bullet-pointed the highlights of the tax credit to avoid eyes glazing over syndrome. I also stated several times that I was not a CPA and to consult their own tax adviser, yada, yada, yada.

No where did I ask for or mention referrals, or do any overt "marketing". It was purely informational.

So far, out of the 100 emails I sent, I can tell there were 20 opens (in less than 24 hours) and I got two very positive emails back.

The thing that makes me so happy about the 2 emails is that one WAS from a CPA (he said, "great info") and the other was from from a regional manager of marketing at a large corporation. His comment was "great marketing".

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good about it. So, thanks, Jennifer, and the rest of this group for soulful advice!
11-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Re: Just had to share...
that's great "margo"!

Just a few comments... first, I think that  Constant Contact under-reports opens by at least 50%... so probably a lot more people have opened it.

I also find that my open and response rate on the weekends is much lower than during the week. So, next time, considering doing one on a weekday morning - that seems to work the best for me.

But great job on getting it done! We'd all love to see your letter if you'd like to share...

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Since you asked, let's see if I can copy and paste it here. 

Dear Jennifer,

I don't know about you, but I'm not a CPA* and since the first time home buyer tax credit didn't apply to our situation when buying our new home this summer, I didn't pay much attention to it. And, to be totally honest with you, I didn't try too hard to understand it either.

But, now that real estate is my business, I figured that I darn well better be able to explain the tax credit to first- time home buyers. And now that it applies to current home owners there's even more splainin' to do!

First of all, it is important to know that a tax credit is not the same thing as a tax deduction. A tax credit is a dollar for dollar reduction in what the taxpayer owes. That means that a first-time home buyer that owes $8000 in income taxes and receives the $8000 tax credit, would owe nothing to the IRS. A few more important points:

* Qualified first-time or repeat home buyers purchasing any kind of home are eligible.
    * The definition of a first-time home buyer is anyone who has not had ownership interest in a property in the last 3 years.
    * Repeat buyers must have lived in their current home for 5 consecutive years out of the last 8.
    * Applies to primary residences only (sorry no vacation or investment properties).
    * Income limits for single taxpayers are $125,000 and $225,000 for married filing jointly.
    * Deadlines: must be under contract by April 30, 2010 and close by June 30, 2010; Military has all of 2010 to take advantage of the tax credit.
    * The tax credit for first timers is equal to 10% of the home's value up to $8000
    * For repeat buyers the limit is up to $6500
    * Homes priced over $800,000 are not eligible for the tax credit.

*Seriously, I am not a CPA by any stretch of the imagination, so be sure to check with your own tax adviser to discuss your situation.

Hope this helps!

All My Best,

Carol
Keller Williams Clients' Choice Realty
11-15-2009, 05:11 PM
THIS IS FABULOUS.

I'm SO proud of you!!!!!

"The Secret of Joy in work is one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it." Pearl S. Buck
11-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks, Jennifer, that means a lot to me!  Big Grin

While we're on the subject of Constant Contact, could you refer me so we both can get the discount?
11-15-2009, 05:26 PM
It might be too late, but I'll give it a try! Which email address?

11-15-2009, 05:31 PM
I'll email it to you. It might work because they didn't ask for any payment info when I signed up for the trial. And this very nice young man named Nick from Constant Contact keeps calling me to see if I need help with anything. So, I think I need some help with this referral thing!  Wink  I'll let you know how it works out.
11-17-2009, 08:48 AM
What is this discount of which we speak? :-) Gone already?

I see the pre-pay discount. Since I haven't made a profit, I wonder if I can qualify for the non-profit discount-- LOL.

Becky in FL
11-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Becky, If a current customer refers you, both of you get a $30 discount at Constant Contact.